There is no doubt scary novels can give you the creeps. Cold shivers will run down your spine as goosebumps appear on your skin. Those are the effects of horror novels. If you love a good scare, you will enjoy these books.
- Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi
- My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
- Thousand Demons: A Hunter’s Saga
- The Sleepless by Nuzo Onoh
- My Life in the Bush of Ghost by Amos Tutuola
- Incidents at the Shrine by Ben Okri
- The Relunctant Dead by Nuzo Onoh
- The Dead Corpse by Nuzo Onoh
- For Everything, A Reason by Oreoluwa Obasa
1: The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi will for sure scare you till your teeth tremble. It’s the story of a girl born into a mixed-race family. It was nominated for the Otherwise Award.
2. My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite is a novel about two sisters. This story can leave you with scary images and keep you glued to every page. It has received two Goodreads choice awards.
3. Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. This story would give you the same cold shivers as though you were watching a horror movie
4. Although written in the last century, Thousand Demons; A Hunter’s saga is one of the most populous African Nigerian novels. A literal translation from Yoruba by Wole Soyinka about a Yoruba hunter who encountered magic and monsters.
5. The Sleepless by Nuzo Onoh is a combination of both horror and historical fiction. The book has been listed in the reference book 80 Black Women in Horror, and her work has been included in the Black Magic Women Anthology.
6. My Life in The Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tutuola, written in 1954, recounts the fate of a young West African boy who ran into a mysterious bush escaping from the hands of slave traders.
7.Incidents at the shrine also written by Ben Okri. It is a collection of eight stories that speak on more levels than what is read.
8. The Reluctant Dead: A 4-star rating novels by the iconic Nuzo Onoh, who is acclaimed to be the pioneer of Nigerian Horror Genre. This is a collection of ghost stories.
9. The Dead Corpse: Written by the only author to feature on Starbust, the world’s longest-running magazine of cult-entertainment, Nuzo Onoh. It tells the tales of a woman, who keeps resurrecting for no reason.
10.For Everything A Reason By Oreoluwa Obaba: An Okadabooks’ 4-star ratings novel that touches the investigation of five friends into the murder of their friend.